Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Over In The Blink Of An Eye

With three days leading up to back surgery, I have to admit, I was nervous.  What if my spinal cord was punctured?  What if I wake up during surgery or worse yet, what if I don't wake up at all?  These were my thoughts as I checked into the SurgiCenter on the morning of my surgery.

I was wheeled into the cold, bright operating room and see my surgeon, Dr. Close and his assistant, Justin wave to me as they sit in the corner waiting. They are so many nurses hustling about asking me questions, hooking tubes up and prepping me for surgery.  The next thing I know I open my eyes.  I hear 'He's So Fine' by the Chiffons.  Is this in my head or am I really hearing this song?  I ask the nurses if I am supposed to be awake and they answer yes.  And within an hour and half I had a laminectomy and microdisectomy and was being wheeled into recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment